image

image

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Blog Post #1

  1. What is your full name? Yasmin Atef
  2. Do you have a nickname that you prefer to go by? Nope!
  3. What is your height in inches? 65 in.
  4. What is your age in years? 18
  5. What time do you generally wake up on any given day? 9:00-9:15
  6. What is your favorite candy? Skittles
  7. What is your favorite snack food? Popcorn
  8. Who is your favorite musical artist/band? Jack Johnson
  9. Do you have any hobbies/things you like to do for fun? Spending time with my friends, monumenting, and drinking large amounts of coffee and tea
  10. What is your mathematical background? (Not limited to the list below…list other topics if needed)
Basic math algebra1 algebra2 statistics probability trigonometry
In high school I went through algebra 2 and also took AP stats

  1. Which mathematical concepts in this class do you think you may struggle with/what are your math weaknesses/fears? I'm not so great with abstract ideas because I'm just a very concrete kind of learner
What is your comfort level with any of the following algebraic topics?

Write one of the following next to each topic:

Very comfortable (V) comfortable (C)    uncomfortable (U) extremely uncomfortable (E)

Equations V
Factoring C
Adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing fractions/rational expressions C
Simplifying expressions C
Operations on roots and fractional exponent expressions U
Operations involving whole number exponent expressions C
Finding common denominators C
Inequalities V
Functions C
Absolute value C
Linear functions C
Systems of equations U
Domain and range C
Inverse functions U
Transformations (shifting, scaling, stretching, etc) U
Quadratic functions U
Completing the square U
Exponential functions U
Logarithmic functions C
Base e C
Graphing V
Trigonometric concepts U

  1. Which mathematical concepts covered in this class do you think you will excel in/what are your strengths/where are you confident?
  2. Which social media formats are you familiar with?
Texting, Facebook, and Twitter
  1. Which social media formats do you use most frequently?
    Twitter and texting

Texting facebook pinterest flickr wordpress blogspot tumblr twitter google plus

  1. What is your major? International business
  2. Why are you taking this math class? For my major
  3. Will you take other math classes in the future at American University or will this be your only math class? If yes, which classes will you take? Yes, I will also be taking applied calc and stats
  4. What do you hope to learn in this class? I hope I learn how to get over my fear of math since I have to take more classes on the subject!
  5. Is there anything else you would like me to know about you? Speaking in class isn't' really my strong suit, I'm more of one to just listen and absorb information.

8 comments:

  1. thanks for your responses, yasmin! i hope that i can be of support in lessening your math anxiety.

    professor little

    p.s. i love jack johnson, also. =0]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coffee too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am taking IBUS-200 this semester! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drink a lot of coffee, too. I drink around 4 cups a day, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coffee is a must in the morning !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I drink like 3 cups of coffee every day. I need it in order to get my day started. Also, have you ever tried skittles or chocolate with popcorn, its the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Jack Johnson and of course coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also addicted to coffee it is good to see that I am not the only one with an addiction:)

    ReplyDelete